07 April 2011

travel blog lament & monogamy reconsidered

I lived in London for 4 phenomenal months... While I lived in Kensington, and sporadically roamed the European continent, I kept a travel blog with snippets of of my life as a Londoner.  It was priceless.  I wrote about my love for my darling flatmates, getting lost in the city, anecdotes from funny incidents, videos of us (me and friends) going around the city, my tours of museums, ect...  I loved my travel blog and knew it would be something to cherish forever.




And then the uncertain, unsecured British internet networks took over and disaster struck.  On one of the nights when our flat's internet had failed, I headed over to the unfortunate American "restaurant" on our block that offered free internet: McDonalds.  I had a skype date with my mother (which, by the way, she failed to show up for...) so, I clicked on the "login" button on the McDonalds site; that unfortunate "click" changed everything.


As it turns out, someone hacked into my accounts (e-mails and otherwise) in order to get into my bank accounts and suck my London-funds dry (even though I had done a pretty stand up job of that myself).  In the mean time however they chose to delete me out of my own e-mail account- which of course is hooked up to the sacred travel blog!


Not to mention that within the same twenty-four hour time period my computer also crashed, hard drive shut down, and many- if not all- of my pictures we're deleted.


So... I spend a lot of time here (residing in my original home-California) pining over moments long gone that took place in Britain; wishing I had my travel blog to read so I could pretend I was still dancing through the tube or walking down Earl's Court Rd to check and see if the thrift shop 4 doors down from our flat received any new (British) copies of the Harry Potter books...  Therefore, this is my lament.  Ode to my British Love Affair.  This is certainly not going to be a chronological list of events from my life in London.  I wish I had that- but... I don't.  Some European-punk deleted my shots out of that... Anyhow- my old travel blog was initially for my friends, family, and fiance at home who wanted to keep up with my life while I was 5,000 miles away.  However, this, this bog... this is for me.  I am a full-hearted believer in monogamy- but not when cities are involved.


I miss London every day.  I intend to love my city from afar while I wait for the chance to go back again; but until then, I'll rehash, retell, and relive all the beautiful components that comprised my Truly Brilliant British Life. 






0 Comments:

Post a Comment